Therefore, the time has come for you to learn how to upload a web page to a server or hosting.
Basically, the procedure is to load all the files on the page from your computer to the server. This is done using the FTP service.
What is an FTP server?
The file transfer protocol (FTP) is a protocol provided by a web server to transfer files to and from the server. The FTP server is part of any service, including economic hosting plans, have it.
How to connect to FTP
To connect to an FTP server and to upload a web page to the hosting you must install an FTP client program. The most popular are the Total Commander and FileZilla.
To connect, you will need the FTP server access data: hostname, username and password.
Where to get FTP access data?
Most of the time you will get them in the email confirming the purchase of the hosting, along with other access data. In this case, it will be the administrative account data, which allows access to all directories on the server, so protect this data against unauthorized access.
If you do not receive your FTP account information in the mail, it means that you will have to create an FTP account. Detailed information on how to do this goes beyond the scope of this tutorial. In any case, in the management panel of your Hosting, you should look for an option to create an FTP account.
Next, you just have to specify the domain directory (the directory that the page domain points to) and enter your username and password. After this, you will use this data to connect to your FTP account in your Hosting.
Below you will find details about the configuration of both programs and the loading procedure on the file server.
What is a hostname?
The hostname is different from the address of the server that provides the FTP service. The hostname usually has the appearance of a subdomain, such as “FTP.domain.com”, or simply “domain.com”. It can also be the IP address of the server itself. The hostname will be required to connect to the FTP server and upload the files from the page.
How to upload a web page to a server or hosting step by step
I will show you how to load a web page on a server taking as an example two of the most popular FTP clients. Whichever program you choose before uploading any file to your server, it is a good idea to make sure you send it to the correct directory. This means the one where the domain points of the page are located.
Most of the time, when you connect to an FTP server, you will see a folder called “public_html” in the list and that is where the files on your website will be found (that is, before you start sending you to need to go to this folder on the FTP server).
If you do not see that folder after connecting, then you will have to enter the access data directly to this directory. Once you have done so, you can start uploading files immediately to your server or hosting account.
A good indicator of being in the correct folder is the presence of another directory called “cgi-bin”. If you see this directory it means that you are probably in the root directory to which the files should be uploaded.
If the server has an index file. html or index. Php, before starting the loading of the website to the server it is good to change the name of that file for another. Files with this name are the startup files, which are downloaded first after entering the address of our website.
Often, hosting providers create such files along with the new account and include content such as a “page under construction” leaving room to place a logo and other data. I am sure that you do not want this content to be displayed on your site, but that your website appears. Therefore, you must rename the old index file to another.
How to upload a website to the server in Total Commander
Total Commander is a popular file manager type program. It has a classic interface, both windows and a built-in FTP client. The program requires some experience to support it, so novice users recommend using the FileZilla program. The steps to upload a web page to the hosting with Total Commander are the following:
- Create a new connection (Network-> FTP connection-> New connection)
- In the new connection window you will have to fill in all the necessary data, these are:
- Session: Here you enter any name under which the new connection will be saved.
- Server Name: The name of the FTP host.
- User: In this field, enter the username of your FTP account
- Password: FTP account password
- It is worth selecting “use passive mode for transfer” with this you will avoid connection problems if you use the Internet behind a router, firewall, etc.
- Once the connection is created, it appears in the list of connections
- Select the newly created connection and click “Connect”
- Once connected to the server, one of the windows of the program will contain a list of directories on the server and the second will show the list of directories on the local computer.
- To upload files to the server, drag the selected files from the “local” window to the FTP server window.
- Confirm the sending of files by clicking “Accept.”
- After the transfer has completed successfully, the sent files should appear in the “FTP” window.
How to upload a website to the internet using FileZilla
Filezilla is a program to upload a web page to a hosting, recommended for users with little experience. The steps to follow, to upload a website to the internet, are the following:
- Select from the menu: file-> administrator pages
- Click on the “new address” button
- In the window that appears, enter the server access data:
- Server: It is different from hostname
- Encryption: Uses only normal FTP.
- Type of login: Set to “normal”.
- Enter username and password
- Click on connect
- Once connected in the left window you can see the files of the local computer, in the right window you will find the content of the FTP server.
- To send files, select the desired files in the left window with the mouse and then drag them to the right window. You have to wait until the transfer is complete.
How to publish a web page from the hosting administration panel
Many hosting management panels provide the ability to manage files on the server disk. They do this through a web browser using the appropriate module in the administration panel. However, this option is only suitable for small files because, in the long term, sending large amounts of files is cumbersome and inconvenient.
For the transfer of multiple files, I always recommend using software with FTP support. As you have seen these programs are quite simple to use that even a beginner should have no problem doing so.
If you use Dreamweaver to create your websites, then you could use their FTP manager. Here is an updated guide for you to learn how to upload a web page to the internet from Dreamweaver.
FTP file transfer is a mature technology, and you should not run into any problem when uploading files. To upload a web page to a server you must make sure you provide the correct access data.
If you hire a web hosting for WordPress, you also have the possibility to use the FTP server. However, you can choose to publish directly from the hosting administration panel.
Sometimes web hosting may require an encrypted connection to FTP (TLS). To use this connection in total Commander, it is necessary to download an additional dll file: OpenSSL and place it in the program installation directory. In FileZilla, support for encrypted connections is already incorporated. Only in the connection properties select: encryption – if available use ftp direct via TLS.
You can find more problems when trying to upload files in active mode if you are connected to the Internet through a router, firewall or NAT. Active mode requires establishing a bi-directional connection, which may be impossible for security reasons. Therefore, you must configure the FTP program in passive mode.